Investor Relations FAQs

What is a Registrar?

Your shareholding in Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc ("JLT") is recorded on a register of shareholders. The register is a list of the names and addresses of all JLT shareholders and the number of shares they own. The register is maintained on behalf of the company by Equinity ("the Registrar"). The Registrar updates the register when your personal circumstances or shareholding change, and also sends out your dividend payment and share certificates.

By law, the register is a public document which the Registrar must make available for inspection. However JLT will not provide details of any individual shareholder to third parties. You can access your own shareholder information via which you can also use to notify us of, changes to your home address, e-mail address (if applicable) or dividend payment instructions.

What should I do with my share certificate?

Share certificates are evidence of your ownership and should be kept in a safe place. You will need the share certificate if you want to sell all or some of your shares in the future. We recommend that you keep a separate record of the certificate numbers and the number of shares each certificate covers in case of loss or damage. Share certificates are posted to shareholders at their own risk.

What is the difference between nominal and market value?

The face value, or "nominal value" of the share is the minimum value. However the market value of each JLT share at any particular time is the price at which it may be sold in the market. JLT shares are traded on the London Stock Exchange.

I have more than one certificate, can they be combined?

If you have several share certificates for JLT shares, you can ask for your certificates to be consolidated into one, by sending them to the Registrar, together with a covering letter. There is no charge to private shareholders for this service. You should retain the counterfoils as they may be required for tax purposes.

What is my account number?

When you first buy JLT shares you are given a unique account number. This is shown in the bottom right-hand corner of share certificates and on dividend counterfoils, and should be quoted in all correspondence.

We recommend that you keep a separate record of your account number.

I have two different account numbers, why?

If you buy shares in JLT at different times, the name and address you supply to the Registrar may differ, even slightly, from the existing details held, in which case another account may be created. If this happens and you want the accounts combined you should contact the Registrar, otherwise you may receive more than one copy of shareholder documents.

What if I lose my share certificate, dividend cheque or tax voucher?

If your certificates are lost, stolen or destroyed, you should contact the Registrar as soon as you can. They will need to arrange for you to complete an indemnity covering the company for any loss arising from a dispute over who owns the shares, and you may be charged for this. Once this is done, the Registrar will send you a duplicate certificate.

If you lose a dividend cheque you should contact the Registrar immediately, confirming which payment has been lost, they will then arrange for the cheque to be stopped and issue you with a duplicate free of charge. Dividend cheques are currently valid for six months from the date of payment.

If you lose a tax voucher you should contact the Registrar, confirming which tax voucher has been lost. A duplicate will be issued upon payment of an administration charge.

How can I find out more about being a shareholder?

ProShare is an independent organisation that promotes wider share ownership and financial education. It is a non-profit making organisation, funded by corporate sponsorship and charitable donations. They aim to make investing more accessible to everyone, by providing straightforward information about shares, investments and personal finance.

Company Meetings The right to vote at company meetings

Every year, you will be invited to attend the Company's Annual General Meeting ("AGM"). If there is a particularly important matter to decide that cannot wait until the next AGM, shareholders may be invited to an Extraordinary General Meeting ("EGM").

What happens at the AGM?

The notice calling the meeting will invite you to attend and vote on important matters such as the election of directors and auditors. Shareholders have the opportunity to hear about the company's performance and prospects for the future, and ask questions about the company and its activities.

What if I cannot attend the AGM?

If you cannot attend, you can participate in the meeting by appointing someone to attend and vote on your behalf - this person is known as your "proxy". Your proxy can be the chairman of the meeting, or any other person you choose. You can instruct your proxy to cast your vote according to your specific instructions, or at his or her discretion. You can appoint a proxy by completing and returning the form that will be sent to you before the meeting.

Change of circumstances What should I do if I move house or change by bank details?

You will need either to write to the Registrar informing them of the change or online via their website When writing regarding a change of address, please quote both your old and new address and your JLT account number. When notifying a change regarding your bank details, you should enclose a completed dividend mandate form. This is available from the Registrar either by post or on-line.

What should I do if I change my name?

Please write to the Registrar and enclose a copy of your marriage certificate or other relevant legal document.

What are the procedures if a shareholder has passed away?

If the shares were held solely in the name of the deceased, you should send the Registrar an official copy of the document by which the deceased's legal personal representative was appointed, usually the grant of probate or letters of administration, impressed with the court seal. The name of the legal personal representative will be put on the register. The shares can then be sold by the personal representative, or transferred to the deceased's beneficiary. If the value of the deceased's estate is below certain limits, the death can be registered using the small estates procedure which is less complex. Details of the current limits and the procedure involved can be obtained from the Registrar. 

If the shares were held jointly by the deceased and another person, a copy of the death certificate is required. The shares will then be registered in the name(s) of the surviving holder(s), and the relevant share certificates will be amended to reflect this.

For further information, please visit the Registrar's website. 

Transferring, buying and selling

By law, neither JLT nor the Registrar are able to offer financial advice. Neither are they able to confirm the price at which you dealt or offer valuations of your holding.

How do I buy and sell shares?

Investors normally use a stockbroker, bank, building society or "share shops" to buy or sell shares on the open market. The commissions charged for buying and selling shares vary between the different organisations. If you do not know a stockbroker, you can contact The Association of Private Client Investment Managers and Stockbrokers (APCIMS) on 020 7247 7080 or at for details of stockbrokers all over the UK who deal with private investors.

What is Stamp Duty?

Stamp duty is a tax that is payable whenever shares are traded. The buyer of the shares must pay the stamp duty before the shares can be registered in their name. Stamp duty is currently set at 0.5% of the value of the shares traded, rounded to the nearest £5.00. If you use a broker to buy shares, the stamp duty will usually be added to the price automatically.

How can I transfer shares to someone else?

You do not always need to use a bank or stockbroker to buy and sell shares. If the buyer and seller agree between themselves, they can transfer shares "off market" by using a stock transfer form, which must be sent to the Registrar together with the share certificates. This method is frequently used in cases where no stamp duty is payable, such as gifts of shares (perhaps to relatives or charities) or on the distribution of an estate. Where stamp duty is payable, the completed transfer form must be sent to an Inland Revenue Stamp Office and the duty paid before the form can be forwarded to the Registrar.

Will I be liable for Capital Gains Tax if I sell my shares?

A charge to Capital Gains Tax ("CGT") may arise when you dispose of an asset which is worth more than when you acquired it. You are liable to pay tax on the total chargeable gains arising on disposals you make in any one tax year (after various reliefs have been given) in excess of the annual exemption limit.

CGT can be complex so if you are in any doubt as to the prevailing requirements, you should consult the HM Revenue and Customs who produce a range of guidance booklets, or an appropriate financial adviser. Neither JLT nor the Registrar can advise individuals on CGT.

How can I donate shares to charity?

Shareholders who hold only a small number of shares, where dealing costs make it uneconomic to sell them, may wish to consider donating them to charity through ShareGift, a registered charity. For further information on ShareGift you should contact The Orr Mackintosh Foundation.

What is CREST?

CREST is an electronic system for settling the sale and purchase of shares. Membership is voluntary and is typically used by institutions and by individual investors who have a large share portfolio or who buy and sell shares frequently. CREST enables shareholders to hold and transfer their shareholdings in electronic form rather than using paper.

For further information on CREST, please write to:

CRESTCo Limited,
Trinity Tower,
9 Thomas More Street,
London E1 9YN.