In the fast-evolving rail sector investment in infrastructure, rolling stock and technology is ever-increasing, while the risks associated with operating and managing rail networks have never been more complex.
The development of high-speed rail to compete with short haul airlines has increased asset values and their associated liabilities. The switch from diesel to electric traction is driving many major upgrade projects, which carry their own risks to identify, mitigate and manage.
Rail networks have improved safety records, but there is still the potential for catastrophic accidents and tightening environmental legislation which means those involving hazardous freight can carry significant and lengthy liabilities. Infrastructure and operating businesses need to understand where their individual liabilities begin and end. They must also comply with evolving regulations.
As a global broker with significant sector expertise, JLT can cater for national and international risks providing: the technical knowledge to identify complex exposures, the risk management expertise to mitigate them and the risk transfer understanding to create bespoke insurance programmes.
WHAT WE DO
Rail accidents are always complicated and we are uniquely positioned to support rail clients in a major loss situation. Our experience includes being involved with every major rail accident in the UK for the last 20 years.
Our rail expertise is coupled with the core capabilities of insurance broking, risk financing and risk consulting to give us a unique perspective for delivering the creative solutions you need, anywhere in the world.
Whatever your rail project you can be sure that we have faced the issues before and that we understand the risks. As a result, we will give your organisation the support you need to prosper in a rail environment.
Globally our clients include public private partnership (PPP) rail construction projects, high speed line infrastructure, passenger and freight train operators, light rail/metro operators, financiers and leasing companies, network owners and operators, rail equipment manufacturers, light maintenance depot operators, maintenance contractors and safety consultants.
We can offer our rail clients market leading insurance solutions for their property, construction, business interruption, rolling stock and terrorism risks.
Our key differentiators to other brokers include:
- Our global rail facility, we are the only broker in the London market with dedicated insurance facilities for rail risks
- The team is led by the former insurance and risk manager of Network Rail, with many years of rail experience
- We have one of the most experienced rail broking teams in the London market – specialising in complex rail property and liability risks, rolling stock and placing global programmes
- Our risk consulting team has worked on many international rail projects addressing estimated maximum loss studies, business interruption risk evaluation, business continuity planning and risk retention levels
- Our claims experts have many years’ experience dealing with rail claims, particularly for train operating companies. We also have a major loss team for complex and major rail accidents
- We have one of the most experienced and dedicated international rail infrastructure construction teams in the London market
- We provide a thought leadership programme through our JLT Rail Forum for our clients.
LOWER PREMIUMS, FULL COMPLIANCE
Infraspeed is the service provider for the high-speed line from Amsterdam to the Belgian border. Before they began operations on the line we reviewed their existing insurance programme and identified problems relating to scope of cover and contract compliance, as well as high premium costs.
We carried out an estimated maximum loss (EML) study to establish the correct level of insurance limits and delivered an insurance programme which met all their cover and contractual commitments. Premium costs were cut by 32%.
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM LOSS STUDY FOR HIGH-SPEED RAIL LINE IN EUROPE
We undertook an estimated maximum loss (EML) study on behalf of a high-speed rail line in Europe. The study identified that the current limit for the property damage and business interruption policy was unnecessarily high, resulting in wasted premium.
We renewed the policy with a more accurate limit and a consequent lower premium. Our report also met all the criteria of the project financiers who endorsed the revised programme.
We can provide the additional expertise and resource you need to manage claims of any size or complexity. Our team has first-hand experience of resolving complex claims resulting from major rail incidents. We have all the skills, loss adjusting, forensic accounting, surveying and engineering, to advise you on every aspect of your claim.
We also support our clients with management of their claims portfolio for more routine incidents. If your business suffers a major loss, we will help you to prepare and present your claim and put you on parity with the insurer’s experts. We will also:
- Free you to get on with your day-to-day tasks
- Manage your business expectations
- Protect your position by controlling information
- Save you time and costs by including cover for claims preparation costs in our policies.
In other words we drive the claim process for you and ensure you achieve the best possible settlement.Our day to day claims services would include:
- Claims preparation workshops
- Below deductible loss handling
- Policy stress testing
- Claims protocols
- Claims data analysis
- Third party administrator performance
- Insurer benchmarking.
Rail Construction Insurance
We are the only broker to provide an integrated construction and rail operations team.
By bringing together rail infrastructure expertise and insurance solutions, we offer you a programmed response to the risks you face through every phase of your project.
We are also the largest and most experienced PPP team in the market – having worked on over 350 projects globally.
We place annually more than GBP 400 million of construction insurance premium, giving us the leverage to negotiate the most competitive rates for you.
Our services include:
- Construction all risks
- Construction liabilities
- Delay in start up
- Professional indemnity
- Cradle to grave solutions
We also focus strongly on supporting the long-term financing and security of your project, with:
- Policy wordings acceptable to both insurers and financiers
- Advanced loss of profit cover
- Risk sharing and controlling premium fluctuation
- Anticipating risk clauses in advance to save you long-term cost.
We like to help clients manage their risks and reduce their insurance costs.
JLT’s global rail team offers you high levels of experience and expertise. We apply these skills in advising on your broader risk landscape and ensuring that your insurance programme is fit for purpose. We can help you:
- Set the correct insurance limits and avoid paying for unnecessary cover
- Satisfy the demands of your project financiers
- Minimise business interruption through business continuity planning work to enable earlier resumption of activities
- Match policies to your changing needs
- Settle claims rapidly.
- We will integrate your overall approach to risk management and save you considerable cost in the process.
We will integrate your overall approach to risk management and save you considerable cost in the process. We can do the following:
- Exposure (estimated maximum loss) studies
- Business interruption assessments
- Major incident preparation
- Business continuity planning
- Loss data analysis
- Supply chain exposures and hot spots
- Enterprise risk management reviews
- Loss control surveys
- Safety audits
- Contractual risk management
- Captive feasibility studies
- Provide thought leadership through our Rail Forum.