Construction and redevelopment projects can be highly complex with many different elements of work to be coordinated into the finished project. The project team needs to display exemplary control and management of the construction process to ensure an on-time and on-budget delivery.
Such high value complex projects, whether in the infrastructure, power, energy or general building sectors, generate a manifold of asset, financial and liability risks.
Our owners and developers teams are at the forefront of providing innovative solutions for major global developments. We partner with both major project owners and developers and on some of the largest and most complex infrastructure and building projects from major public and commercial projects and developments to PPP contracts.
Our construction and real estate experts work closely together to provide solutions to the largest and most complex transactions. Using our expertise and imagination we challenge the accepted industry norms to design innovative risk transfer solutions which lead the industry.
WHAT WE DO
Our dedicated teams of experts work globally on projects and developments, ensuring that the programmes placed deliver broad coverage.
Our team has extensive experience of key products that are relevant to owners and developers, including:
Owner controlled insurance programmes (OCIPs) – construction projects that are of high value and complexity lend themselves to the application of an OCIP. These insurance programmes deliver a number of benefits to owners/developers such as:
- Cost: By placing the programme the owner/developer is aware of the true cost of the insurance coverage premiums for the entire project
- Coverage: By negotiating with the insurers the owner/developer is able to place a programme with terms and conditions in accordance with their risk transfer philosophy
- Control: The owner/developer maintains ownership of the programme throughout the life of the contract which is therefore unaffected by any change in contractor on the project.
OCIPs traditionally include the following coverages:
Third party liability – this protects the project against injury or damage to other parties, such as neighbouring properties. JLT has significant experience insuring complex projects and negotiating adequate levels of cover at a competitive price.
Delay in start-up/loss of anticipated revenue – owners/developers have the ability to purchase delay in start-up (DSU) / loss of anticipated revenue (LOAR) cover when arranging an OCIP. This gives them the ability to protect themselves from the following as a result of damage to the project works; loss of gross profit, loss of revenue and rent, debt servicing costs and increase cost of working
Latent defects insurance – this insurance protects against faults in the design, workmanship, materials, construction, installation or site preparation of a new building that remains undiscovered at the date of practical completion, but comes to light afterwards by virtue or threat of physical damage
Environmental impairment liability – indemnity for clean-up costs, third party losses and own business losses following an incident and subsequent order from the relevant statutory body. These policies respond to historical and new incidents.
- We are broker to the largest infrastructure projects in Europe
- Our dedicated team of experts has unrivalled experience of partnering with property developers to deliver innovative risk and insurance solutions globally
- We have exclusive access to specialist capacity for legal indemnity risks
- Our developer’s team is at the forefront of providing innovative solutions for major developments worldwide partnering with both developers and major project owners on some of the world’s largest and most complex infrastructure and building projects
- We have designed an insurance programme for one of the largest P3 project in North America.