Real estate is a fundamental building block of our economy, and any risks to this sector can impact the country as a whole. Organizations require a risk management strategy that provides certainty for stakeholders and delivers cost effective solutions to deliver on project goals.
Throughout the lifecycle of property investments – from site acquisition, design, construction, and the on-going asset management – JLT Specialty USA serves as a strategic partner to our clients.
Our real estate team manages a cross-section of commercial and residential property clients ranging from FTSE 100 companies to individual property owners.
We understand the complexities of this evolving industry, and our team of specialists have the in-depth experience and deep industry expertise to solve the most complex areas of risk.
Real estate is our passion. Our success ultimately derives from our team of highly experienced insurance practitioners with a stronghold within the real estate sector. Whether our clients are funding, developing, buying, selling, building, holding or managing property portfolios - we understand your unique risk profile and the key services required.
WHAT WE DO
As a specialist real estate broker, JLT’s dedicated team manages the full spectrum of property transactions, encompassing pre and post transaction requirements, including:
Commercial and residential insurance
We assess your property portfolio and claims history, and make recommendations on restructuring your insurance placement. Our team provides informed proposals on risk management with options for improving premiums and minimizing the inconvenience of claims.
Legal indemnities insurance
During a land or asset purchase organizations may encounter title issues that can delay completion or put future developments at risk. Our specialist team creates unique wordings that suit the specific nature of your site. These wordings take third parties into consideration and can be placed for existing properties or for developments pre and post-planning.
M&A insurance enables sellers to achieve a clean exit following completion of a deal. We help buyers receive the financial protection they need through a tailored insurance policy covering the warranties and tax covenant given as part of the sale.
Due diligence insurance
In providing finance for a real estate acquisition, organizations need to be sure that the asset in question is adequately protected. JLT advises our clients on the drafting of the insurance requirements under loan facility agreements. We review the borrowers’ insurance against this standard, providing organizations with the confidence that they are compliant and offer simple, cost-effective solutions to any shortcomings.
For 30 years, our construction team have worked in partnership with our clients, delivering excellent solutions which shape the construction insurance industry. Our construction team works across the breadth of building, civil works, engineering risks, and facilities management to provide fit-for-purpose solutions to the most complex areas of risk.
- We are a team that responds quickly and we pride ourselves on being available to you when you need us most. We know this is crucial to you and your business's success, and will do everything we can to deliver at the point required
- All of our central capabilities are under one roof, allowing us to provide a smooth and integrated service. This enables us to provide advice on any area at any point during our service whenever it is needed, aligned to the program
- Our strong relationships with the right insurers in the market, dealing with them every day, means that we leverage not only the price, but also the coverage
- We have a dedicated team of specialists focused on this sector, the majority of which have more than 25 years’ experience. But what really sets us apart is our people - we employ market-leading specialists who enjoy and value their work
- We involve our dedicated claims management experts at the outset for their insights when designing insurance programs. We leverage their expertise to avoid any ambiguities in the wording, and we work with markets that are claims responsive.
50% Premium reduction
JLT was appointed in 2010 and inherited an insurance program with varying insurance carriers, renewal dates and basis of coverage across 13 European territories. Following detailed discussions with the individual fund managers, we improved a group insurance program with a standard broader basis of coverage, lower premium cost, and common renewal date with an agreed panel of insurers.
In addition, our team of specialists negotiated a significant risk management fund to be made available by the insurers, to be utilized on the robust risk management strategy designed and managed by JLT. Over a five year period we retained the appointment and installed a JLT member of staff to act as in-house risk and insurance manager (at no cost to the client), reducing client exposures and reducing premium levels by a further 50%.
Rights to light Strategy
A JLT client recently offered funding on a development with an insurance policy that was already in place. The policy did not allow neighbourly matters, and these were later discovered to be necessary to facilitate the development. We highlighted this deficiency but our client advised us that the developer’s insurer was not willing to offer any changes to the policy.
This left the developer with an unsavoury choice: changing their rights of light strategy or paying for another policy. We were able to provide a right of light policy to ensure that any possible compensation can be capped/budgeted for, with the insurance policy picking up the “unknown” costs above that budgeted figure.
Our claims specialists are an integral and critical part of JLT. Our experienced team works close to the market, alongside our client-facing teams in the US. Our services include:
- Manage insurer and loss adjuster performance
- Provide vital management information reports
- Hold bi-annual claims review meetings
- Discuss claims trends for large and/or contentious claims
Through our aligned approach, we have established a reputation for getting results and resolving long running complex claims, while providing first-class service. We offer:
- A proactive approach to claims management, contactable 24/7, 365 days a year
- Excellent working relationships with all leading carriers
- Excellent working relationships with all leading loss adjusters.
Risk management is an important function of any real estate business. Recognizing the specialist nature of the real estate sector, we partner with a number of the industry’s leading providers to offer a suite of risk management services, such as leak detection, thermographic testing site audits, fire risk assessments, crisis management reviews, claims defensibility and provision of training.